Road closure details:
- 7 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday | July 21-24
- Southbound Kempsville Road will be completely closed from the stoplight at Center Drive to Blackstone Street.
- Northbound Kempsville Road will be reduced to one lane (the right lane) from Blackstone Street to Center Drive.
Southbound traffic on Kempsville Road will be detoured to a left on Center Drive to a right on Newtown Road to a right on Kempsville Road. Map on next page.
First Baptist will continue to have access via the northbound lanes of Kempsville Road. The exact location of where the two northbound lanes will be reduced to one lane has yet to be determined. It will be after the first entrance, but setback requirements for the lane closure may force the taper to begin at or near the second entrance at Blackstone Road. The third entrance/exit will remain accessible via the one lane of northbound Kempsville Road.
Reason for the closures:
VDOT’s construction contractor for the 64/264 Interchange Improvements Project will be drilling three shafts in the median of Kempsville Road for pier foundations to support the new bridge over Kempsville Road. This new bridge will be the new collector-distributor road on I-264 east. More background on the project is at www.i64i264improvements.org.
Workers will be drilling the shafts, installing rebar and pouring concrete. They plan to do two shafts the first weekend (July 7-10) and one shaft the second weekend (July 21-24). Afterward, you will see rebar sticking out from the shafts. The contractor will return at a later date (yet to be scheduled) to pour concrete for the columns and cap them, and eventually set the beams for the new bridge. All that additional work means there will be future impacts to Kempsville Road. We will let you know as soon as those dates are scheduled.
What You Need to Know
1. The sidewalk along the northbound lanes of Kempsville Road will remain open
2. The west annex parking (across the street) is accessible via Blackstone Street only.
3. Pedestrian traffic will be able to cross Kempsville Road except in the work area.
4. All 3 entrance/exits to the church campus are usable.
5. There will not be construction traffic on the church campus.
6. An extra shuttle will run each of these weekends from the 3 parking areas served by the shuttles: Cross Roads Center, HRT/Tide, and Fortis College at the Interstate Commerce Center on Center Drive. See map below for these locations.
7. Allow extra time to get into the building.
8. All scheduled church activities will take place.
If you have any questions, please comment below.
Thanks to Dave Forster with VDOT for details on this closure.