On Sunday, Jan. 15, our church will launch together in a 21-Day Prayer Journey. During these weeks, we will pray for our nation, our world, the advance of the gospel, and for First Baptist Norfolk. Please commit to joining us in our intercession. Feel free to join the conversation on social media using #firstnorfolkprayer. We look forward to walking this road together!
DAILY PRAYER GUIDES
Begin each session of prayer with adoration and confession.
7 am – Prayer for the peace of Hampton Roads, the United States, and our world.
- Hampton Roads: Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, Newport News, Hampton, and Suffolk.
10 am – Prayer for government officials, the armed forces, and first responders.
- Norfolk Mayor: Kenneth Cooper Alexander
- Virginia Beach Mayor: Will Sessoms
- Chesapeake Mayor: Alan P. Krasnoff
- Portsmouth Mayor: John L. Rowe. Jr.
- Newport News Mayor: McKinley L. Price
- Hampton Mayor: Donnie Tuck
- Suffolk Mayor: Linda T. Johnson
- Hampton Roads is home to the world’s largest naval base. The Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, and Marines also have a presence in the area.
- First responders are the police officers, deputy sheriffs, firefighters, paramedics, rescuers, and more who arrive first during an emergency.
Noon – Prayer for the advance of the gospel in Hampton Roads, Virginia, our nation, and the world.
3 pm – Prayer for God to open the hearts of those around us as we share the gospel with them.
5 pm – Prayer for the First Baptist Norfolk staff and families. Prayer for God to open the door to the right location for a new campus.
- Our staff are: Eric Thomas, Curt Breland, Jan Frost, Steve Harper, Phillip Herring, Julie Hunt, Darryl Meincke, Gail Motley, Claude Parent, Gary Sanders, Vernig Suárez, Jason Waters, and Brent Wilson. For more information on our staff, visit this page.
- Church leadership has not yet decided on the location for the new campus, however, they are considering Virginia Beach or Chesapeake, since this is where the majority of church members currently reside.
9 pm – Prayer for the evangelization of the seven cities of Hampton Roads. Prayer for God to use our new campus to reach the lost and encourage the saved.
- For more information on the our new campus (including our One-Year Goal and 90-Day Objectives), read this blog post.
WEEKLY PRAYER GUIDES
Take an hour each week to reflect and pray specifically:
Week 1 – Lord, draw us to Yourself that we might have the fullness of joy. Teach us to fear You and to trust You completely. Help our church be humble before You so that we might be consumed with Your presence and shine Your glory. Make us and our church what You want us to be to honor You.
Week 2 – Lord, be near to us as we cry out to You. Embitter our soul to sin, that we may hunger more for You. Swell our hearts to seek Your purposes above all else. Empower us by Your spirit to radiate your rescuing light into the world. Show us the part You would have us play in fulfilling Your mission for the church.
Week 3 – Lord, continue to open doors of opportunity for our church to make disciples of all people. Capture us with Your love so that we might offer refuge in Jesus to those captured in the menacing waves of misery. Grant us faith to obey what You are calling us to do as a church, and individually as followers of Jesus at First Baptist Norfolk.
Download a copy of the 21 Days of Prayer guide here: 21-days-of-prayer-card-combined