- Take exit 284A (I-264 West), Military Highway, Virginia Beach Blvd. and Kempsville Road
- Take the Indian River Road exit (286A) and use Military Highway, Virginia Beach Blvd. and Kempsville Road
- Use Kempsville Road (the other one) in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach to Princess Anne Road. This turns into Kempsville Road at the Norfolk/Virginia Beach line.
- The map below shows the options. The roadways highlighted in red will be closed.
During the Sept. 17 Campus Catalyst Meeting, the church discussed and voted to approve a three-year lease agreement for a property at 1516 Volvo Parkway, Chesapeake, as our second location. Launching this new location is a part of our Ten-Year Vision, and more specifically, our One-Year Goal:
First Norfolk Advance: Between January and December 2017, we will launch a new location in our multi-site strategy.
This building on Volvo Parkway began as a church plant more than 10 years ago, but the church plant went out of business and a finance group purchased the partially-finished facility. The building has never been used and is in great condition. This facility works well for our purposes as it already includes a worship center and has three stories (plenty of space for student, young adult, adult, children, and preschool ministries). There are some construction projects that the owners will finish, and this will leave us to furnish the space with things like lighting, sound, furniture, and technology.
There are 170 parking spots for the building, which could present a potential challenge for significant future growth. However, this many spots give us parking for approximately 400 people. If/when we have more than 400 people attending church, we would then move to two gatherings at that location.
Our lease ownership begins on Oct. 1 (we are leasing this building, not purchasing it). Pastor Eric said that we plan to use October to finish and furnish the facility, and then plan a “soft launch” of the campus in November as we get our leadership teams (staff and lay people) in place. We plan to host some events at the location to help acclimate those who attend the church and people in the community to this new campus. We are planning for a “hard launch” of the new campus in January 2018. Currently, we are calling this location “First Norfolk on Volvo Parkway.” Brent Wilson, Minister to Young Adults, will be the pastor at this location.
In other news, we have a new trial date with VDOT for May 7-11, 2018. In July, VDOT’s continuance request was granted. We are still hopeful for mediation in the near future.
CALL TO PRAYER
- Pray for God’s glory to shine through us to the seven cities.
- Pray that hundreds of people far from God would be saved during this journey.
- Pray for the Volvo location.
- Pray for VDOT negotiations.
At the beginning of August, VDOT installed a time-lapse construction camera to allow the public to view the progress on the I-64/I-264 interchange project. Our church is featured prominently in this time-lapse view. You can watch the time-lapse video on VDOT’s project website homepage here: http://www.i64i264improvements.org