We have received the following update from VDOT:
Kempsville Road will close to southbound traffic under I-264 from 9 p.m. Friday until as late as 5 a.m. Monday the following two weekends (Feb. 16-19 and Feb. 23-26). A third weekend closure (March 2-5) is possible.
A detour (map below) will direct traffic to turn left on Center Drive and right on Newton Road, back to Kempsville Road.
The closures are necessary to install steel girders over Kempsville Road for the I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project.
Northbound traffic on Kempsville Road will also be stopped for up to 20 minutes at a time during the weekend closures. Outside of those stoppages, the inside lane of northbound Kempsville Road will be open to motorists. The lane closures will extend from the signal at Center Drive to approximately Blackstone Street. The sidewalks will not be accessible this weekend for walking between Fortis College and First Baptist Norfolk.
DETAILS FOR SUNDAY
- Access to our church entrance will remain open.
- The sidewalk to the east of the northbound lanes of traffic will be closed.
- The north exit will be closed to traffic because a girder truck will be parking in the North Driveway, closing that exit and the loop around the back of the building.
- The handicapped parking next to Kempsville Road will be closed because the north exit is blocked. The prayer garden will serve as handicapped parking for this weekend.
- Blackstone Street and the parking lot across Kempsville Road will be accessible.
- The access road between the field is open.
- The shuttles will run this Sunday between all three offsite parking locations: Fortis College, Cross Roads Center, and HRT (The Tide). Drop-off and pickup will be in the prayer garden. Allow extra time for the shuttle routes this Sunday.
Thanks to Dave Forster from VDOT for keeping us up to date about these changes.