UPDATE: VDOT has informed our church that the southbound Kempsville closure has been moved to weekend of Oct. 6-9. No closure this weekend (Sept. 29-Oct. 1). The closure will impact our Sunday morning traffic. Read more details from VDOT here.
If construction goes well, VDOT said they hope to finish and reopen southbound Kempsville Road before the start of our church services Sunday. However, they told us to prepare for the closure to extend through the entire weekend. If weather or other circumstances force a postponement, VDOT plans to reschedule this construction work for another time.
Road closure details:
- 7 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday | Oct. 6-9
- Southbound Kempsville Road will be completely closed from the stoplight at Center Drive to Blackstone Street.
- Northbound Kempsville Road will be reduced to one lane (the right lane) from Blackstone Street to Center Drive.
Southbound traffic on Kempsville Road will be detoured to a left on Center Drive to a right on Newtown Road to a right on Kempsville Road. Maps shown below.
First Baptist will continue to have access via the northbound lanes of Kempsville Road. The exact location of where the two northbound lanes will be reduced to one lane has yet to be determined. It will be after the first entrance, but setback requirements for the lane closure may force the taper to begin at or near the second entrance at Blackstone Road. The third entrance/exit will remain accessible via the one lane of northbound Kempsville Road.
What You Need to Know
1. The sidewalk along the northbound lanes of Kempsville Road will remain open
2. The west annex parking (across the street) is accessible via Blackstone Street only.
3. Pedestrian traffic will be able to cross Kempsville Road except in the work area.
4. All 3 entrance/exits to the church campus are usable.
5. There will not be construction traffic on the church campus.
6. Allow extra time to get into the building.
7. All scheduled church activities will take place.
If you have any questions, please comment below.